Fairy Lake is a beautiful, rustic campground, located only a few minutes drive from Port Renfrew, BC. This campground is not as manicured as many of the provincial park campsites, but in my opinion, this adds to the charm. It is a great escape location from Victoria, as it is only a 2 hour drive (approx.). Although, the highway leading to Port Renfrew is quite winding and often pothole laden, so best to drive this in the daylight and watch your speed.
What are the best features?
- Beautiful swimming lake with beach area. The water is clear and has a fair amount of shore before dropping off.
- Great location, just minutes away from Port Renfrew. Forgot something? – just head to the Port Renfrew general store. Don’t feel like cooking over a fire? – Head into town for a burger or beer.
- Nice calm water for small boat fishing or paddling in a canoe or kayak. The lake is small enough to not feel overwhelmed by the size, but large enough to explore.
- Fire pits, picnic tables and good size campsites available, with a nice selection of shade, sun, and waterside options.
- The atmosphere is very family friendly. The circular road in the campground is perfect for kids to ride their bikes or to walk your dog, and plenty of waterfront area to park yourself on beach with a book while the kids play in the water.
- The road leading to Fairy Lake also leads to Lizard lake and eventually Lake Cowichan. There are plenty of creeks to explore and beautiful scenery to discover.
What Could be Better?
- There is no water supply provided, so remember that you will need to bring your drinking and cooking water.
- The outhouses are pretty clean, and well supplied with toilet paper, but I’m not so sure that all of them are used equally. Some of them look like the path leading to the door has not been walked in a while, but that’s about the worst part of the latrine situation.
- There is no garbage or recycle drop locations, so this means that whatever garbage you create, you take with you. (and lock in your truck at night to avoid midnight bear visits)
- All sites are first come, first serve. There is no reservation option available.